Things?
- I think I'm catching a cold...or caught one. It may be that I was just around a lot of smoke this weekend at the club(!) and its catching up with me
- I have barely started my presentation for school due next week! Eek!
- Work is still shit, since all of my friends are gone. But its getting a little more tolerable, especially today (see below)
- I love school (I know crazy, right?) But this semester needs to end NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
- Hurray! I think I am taking a trip with some gay friends to 'gay day' in Ceder Point...wherever that is. Ironic or not, 'gay day' always falls on 'Fathers day' in Ceder Point. BTW don't ask what 'gay day' is because I have no idea
One thing I wanted to put down here as a typical 'blog reflection': I think everyone experiences this regardless of your vocation, but I was reminded today why I love the job I have. I have been working on this problem at work for about a month now. I am a computer programmer (or dork as many call it), and the project I'm on has been fucked because of this problem. On my team, I am seen as the 'problem solver', because I seem to have a knack for getting freak flashes of intuition into a situation...that and when I can't figure something out I become obsessive until its fixed.
So I was assigned this weird problem that I have been on/off working for a month, and today I FINALLY figured it out. And at the exact moment, something just clicked in my brain, and I was like 'Eureka!!!' thats the answer!! My heart started beating a little faster, and my mind started racing. I could feel my mood elevate, and I just had the biggest rush of satisfaction and excitement. It was like a natural high that was a great payoff to so much hard work.
So, sure, I am uber-nerd, numero uno, but the point is that I hope that other people-- writers, architects, scientists, teachers, etc. get to experience that same elation in their daily lives. I think this may be the difference in a 'vocation' vs. an 'occupation'. I am genuinely happy that each day I enjoy the type of work I am doing and that it challenges and motivates me. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have that in my life. I know that I have seen surveys of different professions, and 'mathematician' is always number one and computer programmer is always in the top five. I certainly can see why- its like drugs!
Wow that was longer than expected (that's what she said...or he, however the case may be).
Much Love,
Steve
10 comments:
You sound pretty upbeat which is good just take care of your health so you CAN get to "Gay Day".
ps: It's just a gay day at the amusement park. "Family" friendly with pun intended, gather all the gay people to visit the park on the same day.
I think (hope) you will really enjoy yourself there. It seems like a great chance to meet people in a comfortable setting, and to have loads of fun.
They have a similar one here at Six Flags every year, and of course the grand fete is Gay Day at Disney.
I have yet to go to any of them, but I hear they are fun.
:)
I kno how you feel...
I currently love my job, but when I was in the army, even tho it sucked a lot of the time, I felt like I accomplished something...that my job really matters...
A satisfaction I have not felt anywhere else..
Glad to hear you worked it out! :) I get that feeling from time to time in my job, when a plan i came up with works out perfectly despite having all the variables working against me. Gay day sounds fun. :) I really need some gay friends so i can do that kind of stuff. I hope we can chat on msn again soon. :p
FINALLY. lol
I'm glad you enjoy your job. I don't have a job but i do write (complicated) stories, so i know what the 'Eureka' moment is like. :D
lovehugs
Hey, a fellow (gay) geek!
As a partially-out Computer Engineer, I *must* watch this blog, if only to show solidarity for other gay geeks.
One word of advice: Don't get sucked into becoming the "cleanup guy," and rushing from crisis to crisis. It's good to be good at saving the day, but you have to balance that with guiding a project. I'm working on extracting myself from that now, because I fear my career may start to stagnate.
And I know precisely the feeling. There's nothing quite like swooping in to save the day. You know I've had epiphanies at 11PM, figured out a really clever way to solve a problem, and actually gone back the next morning to admire my own work? ;-P
As a fellow programmer, I know exactly what you mean about the Eureka! moment. Everything falls into place and the world is good.
There's also the Paradigm Shift moment, when something that didn't click for ages all of a sudden makes total sense. The most important time that happened for me (in computers, at least) was when, in a flash, C++ went from a confusing iteration of C to making complete and utter sense.
Wow- two other computer geeks, I am glad to be in such good company!
Thanks for all the comments folks-
Steve
Well Steve I must disagree with you regarding how uninteresting your blog is. Personally there is nothing that I find that is uninteresting about you. Please don't put yourself down. You are one of the sweetest and cutest guys I know.
I have visited your very interesting blog.Do You want visit the my blogs for an exchange visit?Grazie.
http://internapoli-city.blogspot.com
@willie
Thanks! You are far too kind :-)
@pollicino
I am adding your link. Your blog looks good, but I can't read italian--thanks though! :-)
Post a Comment